Saturday 13 June 2015

Mother nature at its best ....


You'll probably already know I live in a little village near Amsterdam. A city where I also have my daytime job meaning at least three times a week a drive over there.
On my way to work I always pass the village Sloten and the associated piece of unspoiled nature called Vrije Geer .

On that little piece of land is a unique situation for Amsterdam standards. This year they have placed four poles with woven nests about six or seven meters high to attract storks, with the expectation the storks itself will fill the nest with nesting material.

Until recently there was only one pole in this area what made that each Spring there was a fight between the storks to get a place to breed. 
This caused a lot of stress for the storks with the result there was hardly any breeding at all.


As you can see on the next photo this wonderful new initiative wasn't without success.
Because this is what I saw mid-April .... 




At least once a week I took my camera with me when I went to work and on my way home I made a stroll on this special place where city life meets country living ....




This was around the beginning of May where I suspected the eggs had already hatched and mum was waiting patiently until dad came back from his hunting to feed his family ....




And here he is, one very proud dad .....




And clearly on a mission ....




To make this picture of the two together on the nest I had to spend a lot of time in the high and most of the time very wet grass. Quite an achievement for someone known for little patience. But somehow when it comes to bird watch I don't mind the waiting at all ....




And finally the four little ones ....




So very pleased I managed to capture them (from quite a distance in order not to disturb them) before they leave the nest ....




Aren't they cute ....




I'm going to miss this sight on my way to work, that's for sure .... happy weekend everyone!

Anita
~xo~

P.s. There's a little update on the following link : Mother nature at its best part 2


2 comments:

  1. Oh Anita... I have loved seeing your photos on Instagram of the nest, and now to see all of these... just wonderful!... I am like you, sometimes I don't have alot of patience, but when it comes to nature, I do... so happy you were able to capture all of this!... sweet mama, daddy and baby storks... your countryside looks so beautiful!... much love, xoxo... Julie Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful that the storks got the idea and have made such a success of breeding in their new nest and for you to be able to watch it all happening!

    ReplyDelete