Monday 14 October 2013

An autumnal recipe .... and where to stew it in

Although I love summer, the signs of autumn always makes me very happy.
Making a stroll into the woods and then all cosy and warm home again. Some candles and a stew already simmering on the stove .... recognise the feeling?

No Spring nor Summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face ....
                                                        ~ John Donne ~


That all makes me want to go into the kitchen and make my favourite stew.

Although my old pan still functions I would love to have one who also looks beautiful on my dining table!
I've found a lot of pots who will be functional in the kitchen and appealing on my table .

I really fell in love with the new line of cookware from Le Creuset 
On the outside the modern look of mineral blue, cotton and sisal. On the inside the effectiveness of shiny almond coloured enamel.
The collection consists of round and oval cast frying pans, casserole dishes, cake forms of pottery, kettles and silicone spatulas.
Stunning and efficient!






Another brand of French manufacture is Staub
The Staub includes a lid with ''les picots" , a innovation that ensures that the condensation drops fall uniform on the preparation. Keeping the flavor and taste well preserved.
Available in these eight colours ....






From Finland.... Iittala , beautiful scandinavion design.
The Sarpaneva , designed by Simon Sarpaneva
The detachable wooden handle can be used to lift the pot or the lid ....






I haven't quite made up my mind yet about the colour but I think my next stew will be served in a pot from Le Creuset and I find this one very nice ....






 So for now I made the following recipe (a french stew with a dutch twist) still in my trusty old pan.

You will need the following ingredients:
( for 6 people)

- 1 kg of lean beef
- salt
- pepper
- 100 gram of butter
- 100 gram of bacon in small pieces
- 3 onions
- 4 decilitre red wine
- 2 decilitre bouillon
- sprig of thyme
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 cloves
- 2 garlic bulbs
- sliced shrub celery
- a large sliced carrot
- 250 gram mushrooms
- 1 cup sour cream
- parsley

Cut the meat into pieces as large as dice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat the butter and gently fry the bacon. Chop the onions and fry with the bacon. Add the meat and sear it. Then add the wine, bouillon, thyme, bay leaf, garlic (from the press), celery, carrot and let it simmer for two and a half hours.
Then add the furred mushrooms, sour cream and parsley.

Keeping it (after cooled) in the fridge for one night before served, the more intense the flavour will be. Delicious with boiled potatoes or farfalle! 

In anticipation of my new pot I served the stew in this small (single) pans....                                                






Cosy and warm .... just like the little bird. 
Bon appetit and have a good week!

Anita xo

1 comment: