Friday 10 May 2013

A lovely day in my hometown....

Morning all,

Last Monday I went with a dear colleague and a true collector of china and everything else for that matter ;-) to the flea market (the Northern market) in the famous Jordaan quarter in the centre of Amsterdam. The market is situated at a beautiful square dominated by the Northern church. It's the second oldest market in Amsterdam, founded in 1618.

While walking through the lovely and always charming centre of Amsterdam I realise that I'm doing this far to little..... visiting my hometown. Living in a nice quiet village with a bustling city just around the corner  makes me feel so very privileged.

Because many people still had their ( Spring ) holidays the city was bustling with tourists and day trippers and still breathed the atmosphere of all the festivities but also solemn moments we had this past weeks.
We've got a new King ( and also very nice Queen ), Remembrance Day and celebrating our freedom a day later. And that was still clearly visible....




One of the many wreaths at the national monument
 on the Dam square  to commemorate the dead
during the past wars....






But now more about the market....
Not only do the residents of the Jordaan quarter have a slightly different accent, the same goes for their humour. All this makes it a very friendly but also lively atmosphere ....




with at almost every corner a street musician



'There were so many beautiful things that we didn't no where to look first....



All that lovely china....




but also lovely Vintage clothes....



And outside some purchases at the also present rags market I took these lovely bits home....


I was immediately in love with the plate, and the cup and saucer....




that will be the perfect present for my mum this Sunday at Mothers day




If you're ever in Amsterdam and you want to feel the real atmosphere of the city then you should definitely go over here!

Enjoy your weekend....

Anita xo

2 comments:

  1. That looks great, I love a nice vintage market. It's been years since I've been to Amsterdam and I think it's about time for me to visit again... Have a lovely weekend xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita,
    how lovely of you to take photos for us to see. I do love a market, and yours looks wonderful. I love the pretty things you bought too. I am sure your mum will love her present.
    Thank you for your lovely comments on my blog, they are very much appreciated. Have a wonderful week, love, Linda xx Oh and I almost forgot, the wreath is stunning!

    ReplyDelete